Barak Valley is..
· the THIRD largest Bengali speaking area of the country after West Bengal and Tripura
· the pious land where 11 martyrs laid their lives in 1961 to preserve the dignity of their mother tongue ‘Bangla’
· the land which gave birth to Kamala Bhattacharjee, world’s FIRST female language martyr
· the ONLY territory in north eastern India which has never faced any separatist movement or insurgency
· an area with almost equal proportion in population of Hindus and Muslims, and yet NO history of any major communal conflict
· a territory where NO one is discriminated against on the grounds of language or caste
· Silchar, the valley’s largest urban centre, is the ONLY district headquarter in the entire north east to have a central university, a central government engineering college, a medical college, a polytechnic and an airport
· ‘Amit’, the main protagonist in Rabindranath Tagore’s ‘Shesher Kobita’ is believed to be based on APURBA CHANDA, an illustrious son of the valley
· Barak, the river, from which the valley gets its name, is the SECOND largest river system of north eastern India after the mighty Brahmaputra
|The river and the valley, Photo Courtesy: Wikipedia|
Barak Valley was NEVER..
· a place where communal tensions could be flared up due to the stupid statements and actions of unscrupulous politicians
· territory where angry mobs beat up women, that too, in late night hours
· a land where innocent people could be fired at and killed in full public view
The onus is on us, as to what we wish to turn this valley into – a hell or a heaven...............