Sunday, October 9, 2011

Meeting The Ministers II

                                               By our under cover agent Omnipresent

             Once a minister, always a minister - at least this is what the ministers of our country like to believe even after they have been dethroned. So, no wonder, that the lesser 'G' of Barak Valley, the former cabinet minister of Assam in Tarun Gogoi’s last government, was visibly pissed off with the air hostess when she expected him to behave like a common man during one of his recent flights from Silchar to Guwahati. 

We were also looking at Mr. G with the same curiosity. Cartoon Coutesy: Times Group
The pretty air hostess, in her early twenties, had no idea about the ‘jewels’ in Mr. G’s CV and she made sure that the veteran MLA followed the rules irrespective of who he was.
    
For someone of the stature of Mr. G, who had been in the Assam cabinet for so long, it was very natural to expect some special benefits and treatment and when the Congress heavyweight didn't get that, he was left fuming at the air hostess.

It was my return trip from my homeland and I was pain-stricken and heart broken to leave my motherland once again. Lost in my thoughts, as I sunk into my seat, I could hear some commotion ahead near the seats next to the emergency exit just after the pilot's cockpit. Out of curiosity, I peeped my head and peered to see who was in the middle of the tussle. One look and I knew, I was for an interesting ride as it was none other than our lesser G along with his better half.

The air hostess was requesting Mr. G to keep his luggage at the overhead panel and not before the seat as he was sitting near the emergency exit. But Mr. G was hell-bent to keep it with him and got involved in a, nevertheless, peaceful argument with the hostess. The pretty lady took great pains to explain the rules to the former minister but it made no difference as perhaps, he was not habituated to taking suggestions.

            I mean after all, in his tenure as a minister, Mr. G had hardly taken anything seriously or done anything worthy. He is more accustomed to being pestered by spineless cronies than being cut to size a twenty something lady. He has always taken his own decisions and perhaps pooh-poohed suggestions even if someone dared to give them. And here, he was being disciplined by a benign air hostess!

But then, Mr. G realized he was no more a minister but just an MLA and so like a tamed tiger in a cage, he reluctantly agreed to keep his belongings in the overhead penal. However, he kept glaring at the girl who unfortunately had to sit near the pilot's cabin, almost face to face with Mr. G.

After sometime, Mr. G couldn't help his natural instincts and ended up asking the question: Do you know who I am? The girl was equally unfazed and coolly said 'No, sorry' and the conversation ended right there.

All through out the journey, Mr. G seemed uncomfortable in his seat but his agony was not long-lived as the journey was only for about 50 minutes.

Once we de-boarded from the flight and were on our way to board the shuttle bus, I was smiling within myself because he was the third MLA I had the opportunity to see during my short visit. But just then, another stalwart got added to the list.

            No sooner had I stepped inside the bus, I could see a tall, old and lanky gentleman dressed in sparkling white kurta pyjama sitting near the window. His beard and thin frame made me a little curious and it took a good long look for me to understand that he was none other than Mr. ARM, who had made fasting fashionable in Barak Valley long before Anna Hazare.

Mr. ARM, an AIUDF veteran, had fasted last year demanding the repairing of National Highway 44, which, by the way, has still not been repaired. The man had a smile in his face and somehow looked a tad better than the other three.

            As I was busy studying Mr. ARM, I noticed Mr. G also boarding the bus. Having seen  Mr. G, Mr. ARM flashed a smile but it was not reciprocated by the former minister who seemed too lost in the pain of losing his kingdom.

Soon, the bus got crowded and I had to discontinue my observation. I once again got lost in my grief-stricken self, zooming though the slide shows of my newly made memories, which will stay forever this way.

* Concern For Silchar wishes its readers 'Shubho Bijoya'. This article has not been written to hurt or malign anyone. Both the articles of the 'Meeting The Ministers' series are just humorous accounts of the observations the common man makes when he happens to travel together with political heavyweights.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Silchar through the Lense